• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shel_B

Shel_B

Clarification

53 minutes ago, Deryn said:

What is a 'long time' for you in this case, Shel? If refrigerated and completely covered with cold water, I have peeled potatoes well before I cooked them. I do always refrigerate if they will stand more than an hour or two however. In many cases they have been kept cold at least 12 hours (i.e. overnight plus a few hours). I usually (for no really good reason probably) also add a bit of salt to the water when I do that. I have never had 'waterlogged' potatoes emerge - and don't expect that would happen with a waxy potato like a Yukon Gold anyway since they don't even get 'starchy/mealy' during cooking. In fact, though I don't recall doing this, I would bet a Yukon Gold potato would be fine (as I said, if refrigerated and completely water covered) for better than 24 hours prior to cooking. Changing the water every 12 hours or so might help too so no slime develops.

Sorry about your injury. If I were you and couldn't stand or sit long, I might resort to propping myself up on a bed with my legs outstretched and a firm surface (i.e. perhaps a large cutting board) beside me to hold the container with water, etc. and peel away in that position.

On the other hand, if you are making a 'large batch' (how many people will you serve? how many pounds of potatoes do you expect to peel?) of salad, you might also have to cook the potatoes in batches so perhaps you should just peel enough for 1 pot full of potatoes at a time (and maybe even make that pot smaller than you might normally - cook it, refrigerate the cooked ones, start peeling again, etc.).

I do hope you have a large refrigerator because either way you will probably have it full of pots of potatoes either cooked or uncooked or both if you can't manage to prepare the salad from start to finish on the day of the bbq.

I don't know what a "long time" is, but it could be as much as 10 to 12 hours +/-.  It just depends on my pain and comfort level.

I am working with about 10-lbs of potatoes, more than I've ever done.  When I make the salad for parties and dinners, I've never made more than 4-lbs, and even when I'm feeling well, I work slowly and have to stand a while.  Sometimes I'll sit at the dining room table and work sitting down.  That's a big help, but, unfortunately, that won't work so well under the circumstances.  The bed idea won't work in this situation.

I have enough big pots, space in the fridge, and big mixing/storage bowls to get everything done at once.  I hadn't thought about keeping the potatoes cold.  Since you've done that, and for the time I'll probably need for my project, that's what I'll do, unless someone says that the idea is not workable, and then I'll investigate further.  The event is Sunday, and I plan to start preparation this afternoon and, hopefully, start cooking this evening, but definitely by tomorrow morning.  I want everything done tomorrow so I don't have to fuss on the day of the party.

Thanks so much for your input.

Shel_B

Shel_B

3 minutes ago, Deryn said:

What is a 'long time' for you in this case, Shel? If refrigerated and completely covered with cold water, I have peeled potatoes well before I cooked them. I do always refrigerate if they will stand more than an hour or two however. In many cases they have been kept cold at least 12 hours (i.e. overnight plus a few hours). I usually (for no really good reason probably) also add a bit of salt to the water when I do that. I have never had 'waterlogged' potatoes emerge - and don't expect that would happen with a waxy potato like a Yukon Gold anyway since they don't even get 'starchy/mealy' during cooking. In fact, though I don't recall doing this, I would bet a Yukon Gold potato would be fine (as I said, if refrigerated and completely water covered) for better than 24 hours prior to cooking. Changing the water every 12 hours or so might help too so no slime develops.

Sorry about your injury. If I were you and couldn't stand or sit long, I might resort to propping myself up on a bed with my legs outstretched and a firm surface (i.e. perhaps a large cutting board) beside me to hold the container with water, etc. and peel away in that position.

On the other hand, if you are making a 'large batch' (how many people will you serve? how many pounds of potatoes do you expect to peel?) of salad, you might also have to cook the potatoes in batches so perhaps you should just peel enough for 1 pot full of potatoes at a time (and maybe even make that pot smaller than you might normally - cook it, refrigerate the cooked ones, start peeling again, etc.).

I do hope you have a large refrigerator because either way you will probably have it full of pots of potatoes either cooked or uncooked or both if you can't manage to prepare the salad from start to finish on the day of the bbq.

I don't know what a "long time" is, but it could be as much as 10 to 12 hours +/-.  It just depends on my pain and comfort level.

I am working with about 10-lbs of potatoes, more than I've ever done.  When I make the salad for parties and dinners, I've never made more than 4-lbs, and even when I'm feeling well, I work slowly and have to stand a while.  Sometimes I'll sit at the dining room table and work sitting down.  That's a big help, but, unfortunately, that won't work so well under the circumstances.  The bed idea won't work in this situation.

I have enough big pots, space in the fridge, and big mixing/storage bowls to get everything done at once.  I hadn't thought about keeping the potatoes cold.  Since you've done that, and for the time I'll probably need for my project, that's what I'll do, unless someone says that the idea is not workable.  The event is Sunday, and I plan to start preparation this afternoon and, hopefully, start cooking this evening, but definitely by tomorrow morning.  I want everything done tomorrow so I don't have to fuss on the day of the party.

Thanks so much for your input.