• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

kbjesq

kbjesq

add comment

On 4/9/2016 at 6:30 PM, kayb said:

Reason no. 5,387 why I love my IP: Came home from my volunteer shift at the soup kitchen with an unexpected gift of a smoked pork tenderloin, so now in my IP are a half-pound of RG alubia blanco beans, with molasses, dry mustard, regular grainy mustard, brown sugar and bacon.  Boston baked beans, pork tenderloin, potato salad, jail slaw in the fridge already. We'll eat well tonight!

What is "jail slaw"?  And sorry about your beans.  I have not yet had any problem using the IP to cook dry beans (no soak) and I hope that I never do.  And I do use Rancho Gordo beans but also cheap chickpeas and black beans (Goya) from my local supermarket.  With my luck, however, I'll probably have that problem for the first time when I've got company coming over. :(   

ETA:  I just read the posts about the molasses being acid.  I never thought about it so I looked it up and sure enough, molasses is usually around 5.2 - 5.7 pH.  Learn something new every day. :)  I have learned from past failures (decades ago) to never add anything but salt to dried beans before they reach the desired level of tenderness.  After they reach that point, I often add something acidic in order to prevent the skins from suffering from blow out, assuming that I intend to keep cooking them (e.g., Boston baked beans).

kbjesq

kbjesq

On 4/9/2016 at 6:30 PM, kayb said:

Reason no. 5,387 why I love my IP: Came home from my volunteer shift at the soup kitchen with an unexpected gift of a smoked pork tenderloin, so now in my IP are a half-pound of RG alubia blanco beans, with molasses, dry mustard, regular grainy mustard, brown sugar and bacon.  Boston baked beans, pork tenderloin, potato salad, jail slaw in the fridge already. We'll eat well tonight!

What is "jail slaw"?  And sorry about your beans.  I have not yet had any problem using the IP to cook dry beans (no soak) and I hope that I never do.  And I do use Rancho Gordo beans but also cheap chickpeas and black beans (Goya) from my local supermarket.  With my luck, however, I'll probably have that problem for the first time when I've got company coming over. :(