• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

typo - dried not fried!

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

I do not think that Ottolenghi could be any more specific.  He is writing and working in the British Isles and few Brits would mistake currants for anything else.:)  

As a Briton, I concur. No one would be in any doubt. Small black dried grapes as opposed to raisins or sultanas.

We were all raised on currant cake (aka flies' graveyard) and currant buns.

liuzhou

liuzhou

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

I do not think that Ottolenghi could be any more specific.  He is writing and working in the British Isles and few Brits would mistake currants for anything else.:)  

As a Briton, I concur. No one would be in any doubt. Small black fried grapes as opposed to raisins or sultanas.

We were all raised on currant cake (aka flies' graveyard) and currant buns.

liuzhou

liuzhou

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

As a Briton, I concur. No one would be in any doubt. Small black fried grapes as opposed to raisins or sultanas.