• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

UHT cream, Invert sugar and ganache shelf life

martin0642

Hi all - i've been trying to find out how using UHT cream and Invert sugar can help with shelf life of ganache (for dipped or molded chocolates). I understand the principles by which invert sugar helps and obviously, having a sterilised cream can make a difference.

What i'm struggling with is being able to work out roughly how much the use of these ingredients would extend shelf life. Another week? Two? I understand the recipe makes a difference but for arguments sake, lets say a 2:1 Milk chocolate to cream ration with 30% (by weight of cream)  glucose syrup added and....20% (by weight of cream) invert sugar added.

ANy pointers? :)

Edited by Smithy
Added tag (log)

Budding, UK based chocolatier .....or at least..that's the plan 

On 3/7/2016 at 5:03 AM, Chocolot said:

Why are you using both corn syrup and invert? That is a lot of added sugars.

Appartently using more than one sugar decreases Aw. This is from a course I did recently..and I believe, from Wybauw. I'm very happy to have that challenged though! :)

Budding, UK based chocolatier .....or at least..that's the plan