• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Deryn

Deryn

pastrygirl .. I am by no means an expert macaron maker but have you checked the temp in that Viking oven vs what you used to make consistently good macarons in the Wolf? Sounds to me as though the temp may have been too high (causing the meringue to rise and bake before it settled back again). Each oven is different - to that I can attest - and that affects delicate things like macarons much more than it will say a layer cake or other sturdier mixes. The only other thing that might cause what you are talking about (that I can think of - unless you are suddenly using a different ingredient ... ie the sugars or have increased the ph somehow) might be the macronage itself but I gather you are very practiced at that so I doubt that is your problem. The macronage issue could be causing the cracking though but again, you sound much better at macaron mastery than I am so I am sure that is not the problem.

Deryn

Deryn

pastrygirl .. I am by no means an expert macaron maker but have you checked the temp in that Viking oven vs what you used to make consistently good macarons in the Wolf? Sounds to me as though the temp may have been too high (causing the meringue to rise and bake before it settled back again. Each oven is different - to that I can attest - and that affects delicate things like macarons much more than it will say a layer cake or other sturdier mixes. The only other thing that might cause what you are talking about (that I can think of - unless you are suddenly using a different ingredient ... ie the sugars or have increased the ph somehow) might be the macronage itself but I gather you are very practiced at that so I doubt that is your problem.