• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Deryn

Deryn

Thanks for the pictures, chefmd. The day looks delightful there. Here I am watching the tail end of Jonas wag at us (we are getting maybe a half inch of the fluttery white stuff to cap our current foot or two) as he passes south of this peninsula on his journey east so the sky is still a bit grey but at least the winds are light for a change.

I am amazed at how much meat is back on the shelves there so quickly. But, then I guess there are probably filled warehouses in the DC area so the truck treks are not as long as they are out here.

In this Nova Scotia food wilderness, where food must be trucked in from a minimum of 70 miles away and deliveries are scheduled just once a week to our small grocery store, we are out of various items (fresh produce, meats, breads, milk/eggs/cheese) on a regular basis even if there is no snow storm on any given delivery day. Add in a storm and you will just wait till next week unless you can either make it yourself (from ingredients already on hand) or you already have foods stored in various ways (dehydrated, canned, frozen, freeze-dried) you can use instead of the 'fresh' stuff you might ordinarily run to the store for. My 'larder' is always stocked full to overflowing. Interestingly, the 'natives' here still buy up almost everything left if a storm of any kind is forecast in the next day or two. Always amazes me.

Deryn

Deryn

Thanks for the pictures, chefmd. The day looks delightful there. Here I am watching the tail end of Jonas wag at us (we are getting maybe a half inch of the fluttery white stuff to cap our current foot or two) as he passes south of this peninsula on his journey east so the sky is still a bit grey but at least the winds are light for a change.

I am amazed at how much meat is back on the shelves there so quickly. But, then I guess there are probably filled warehouses in the DC area so the truck treks are not as long as they are out here.

In this Nova Scotia food wilderness, where food must be trucked in from a minimum of 70 miles away and deliveries are scheduled just once a week to our small grocery store, we are out of various items (fresh produce, meats, breads, milk/eggs/cheese) on a regular basis even if there is no snow storm on any given delivery day. Add in a storm and you will just wait till next week unless you can either make it yourself (from ingredients already on hand) or you already have foods stored in various ways (dehydrated, canned, frozen, freeze-dried) you can use instead of the 'fresh' stuff you might ordinarily run to the store for. Interestingly, the 'natives' here still buy up almost everything left if a storm of any kind is forecast in the next day or two. Always amazes me.

Deryn

Deryn

In this Nova Scotia food wilderness, where food must be trucked in from a minimum of 70 miles away and deliveries are scheduled just once a week to our small grocery store, we are out of various items (fresh produce, meats, breads, milk/eggs/cheese) on a regular basis even if there is no snow storm on any given delivery day. Add in a storm and you will just wait till next week unless you can either make it yourself (from ingredients already on hand) or you already have foods stored in various ways (dehydrated, canned, frozen, freeze-dried) you can use instead of the 'fresh' stuff you might ordinarily run to the store for. Interestingly still, the 'natives' here buy up almost everything left if a storm of any kind is forecast in the next day or two. Always amazes me.

Deryn

Deryn

In this Nova Scotia food wilderness, where food must be trucked in from a minimum of 70 miles away and deliveries are scheduled just once a week to our small grocery store, we are out of various items (fresh produce, meats, breads, milk/eggs/cheese) on a regular basis even if there is no snow storm on any given delivery day. Add in a storm and you will just wait till next week unless you can either make it yourself (from ingredients already on hand) or you already have foods stored in various ways (dehydrated, canned, frozen, freeze-dried) you can use instead of the 'fresh' stuff you might ordinarily run to the store for. Interestingly, still even the 'natives' here, buy up almost everything left if a storm of any kind is forecast in the next day or two. Always amazes me.