• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

A few days ago I received this gift from a dear friend. It is a type of dry cure, lean pork leg only made in one small town (沅陵 YuánLíng) in the west of Hunan, China. A fairly remote place. The meat is known as 晒兰 shài lán and is rarely sold outside the town.

shailan.jpg

Avocado for scale

Normally, it is cooked with Hunan's beloved chilli peppers, soy sauce and rice wine and served as one dish alongside others in a family meal..

Tonight, however, I did something different. Probably sacrilegious to the good people of Hunan. Thinking of Xi'an hamburgers, I substituted the pork for the more usual lamb or beef in Xi'an. With the requisite green and red chillies, etc.

56af4e0a8099d_hunanhamburger.thumb.jpg.2

56af4e0243434_hunanhamburger2.jpg.73a9d0

I ate three.

liuzhou

liuzhou

A few days ago I received this gift from a dear friend. It is a type of dry cure, lean pork leg only made in one small town (沅陵 YuánLíng) in the west of Hunan, China. A fairly remote place. The meat is known as 晒兰 shài lán and is rarely sold outside the town.

shailan.jpg

Avocado for scale

Normally, it is cooked with Hunan's beloved chilli peppers, soy sauce and rice wine and served as one dish alongside others in a family meal..

Tonight, however, I did something different. Probably sacrilegious to the good people of Hunan. Thinking of Xi'an hamburgers, I substituted the pork for the more usual lamb or beef in Xi'an.

56af4e0a8099d_hunanhamburger.thumb.jpg.2

56af4e0243434_hunanhamburger2.jpg.73a9d0

I ate three.