• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

17 hours ago, ElainaA said:

A good friend and gardening (and cooking ) mentor has been urging me to order from FedCo.  She has a small farm and sells at a farmer's market while I grow just for my husband and myself. My impression was that FedCo dealt in larger amounts of seed. Is that true? Is there a reason you prefer them to Johnny's or Pinetree? And why are so many good seed companies in Maine? 

Fedco caters to all types of gardeners, just like Johnny's.

I generally order most from Johnny's - over $200 in seeds, tools and supplies last year - just don't need stuff from them this year. :)

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

16 hours ago, ElainaA said:

A good friend and gardening (and cooking ) mentor has been urging me to order from FedCo.  She has a small farm and sells at a farmer's market while I grow just for my husband and myself. My impression was that FedCo dealt in larger amounts of seed. Is that true? Is there a reason you prefer them to Johnny's or Pinetree? And why are so many good seed companies in Maine? 

Fedco caters to all types of gardeners, just like Johnny's.

I generally order most from Johnny's - over $200 in seeds and supplies last year - just don't need stuff from them this year. :)