• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

On 1/29/2016 at 3:56 PM, ElainaA said:

This is how I get through winter. There is one more order to arrive. Two of the varieties I am excited about (yes, I get excited about seeds) - paleo spinach and chocolate sprinkles tomato - are back ordered by Territorial. Hopefully they will show up. I don't start tomatoes (inside) until late March so there is lots of time. One of my experiments this year is gunsho - a variety of choi sum. It is taking the place of the broccolini that I grew last year - the broccolini was delicious but it came up, made heads and then bolted in what seemed like two minutes.

As ever, I was thoroughly seduced by the seed catalogs and ordered more varieties of everything than I should have. Do I really need 13 different shapes and colors of lettuce? And the same number of tomato varieties? Well, yes. 

I also started a pot of microgreens  today - they should be ready to eat in 2-3 weeks.

Has anyone else started garden planning yet? What are you growing this year?

DSC00561.thumb.jpg.854246333a51806157a59

Very nice!

I've only ordered from Fedco this year.

I may also place a small order with High Mowing Seeds....all seed orders from them now ship "free."

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

On 1/29/2016 at 3:56 PM, ElainaA said:

This is how I get through winter. There is one more order to arrive. Two of the varieties I am excited about (yes, I get excited about seeds) - paleo spinach and chocolate sprinkles tomato - are back ordered by Territorial. Hopefully they will show up. I don't start tomatoes (inside) until late March so there is lots of time. One of my experiments this year is gunsho - a variety of choi sum. It is taking the place of the broccolini that I grew last year - the broccolini was delicious but it came up, made heads and then bolted in what seemed like two minutes.

As ever, I was thoroughly seduced by the seed catalogs and ordered more varieties of everything than I should have. Do I really need 13 different shapes and colors of lettuce? And the same number of tomato varieties? Well, yes. 

I also started a pot of microgreens  today - they should be ready to eat in 2-3 weeks.

Has anyone else started garden planning yet? What are you growing this year?

DSC00561.thumb.jpg.854246333a51806157a59

Very nice!

I've only ordered from Fedco this year.

May also place a small order with High Mowing Seeds....all seed orders from them now ship "free."