• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

lemniscate

lemniscate

I saw many "no-churn" techniques on youtube for ice cream.   I gave it a go.

1 can evaporated milk (most recipes say use condensed milk, I decided I would add the sweetness separately, plus I have a bunch of evap milk in my pantry for some unknown reason)

1 package cream cheese, cheap store brand

8 fl oz whipping cream, TJ's shelf stable

You mix/blend the evap milk and cream cheese together.  Here I added in the flavorings.

1 batch was jar of Ube jam blended in.   This was plenty sweet for the ice cream

Whip the cream (with a bit of vanilla extract) and fold into the flavored mixture.  Freeze for several hours, or just default to 1 day.

It's lightly purple and has a floral vanilla flavor.  Ube tastes like vanilla to me so it's always a very pleasant taste profile.

2nd batch was a butter rum/butterscotch flavor.  I made a homemade invert sugar and let it slightly caramelize.  About a cup, which was too much, too sweet (1/2 cup would be desired).  I also was too generous with the LorAnn Butter Rum flavoring,   It's a strongly flavored ice cream, almost boozy without booze.

All in all, if I can dial in the flavor technique better,  the texture is quite like standard churned ice cream.  

lemniscate

lemniscate

I saw many "no-churn" techniques on youtube for ice cream.   I gave it a go.

1 can evaporated milk (most recipes say use condensed milk, I decided I would add the sweetness separately, plus I have a bunch of evap milk in my pantry for some unknown)

1 package cream cheese, cheap store brand

8 fl oz whipping cream, TJ's shelf stable

You mix/blend the evap milk and cream cheese together.  Here I added in the flavorings.

1 batch was jar of Ube jam blended in.   This was plenty sweet for the ice cream

Whip the cream (with a bit of vanilla extract) and fold into the flavored mixture.  Freeze for several hours, or just default to 1 day.

It's lightly purple and has a floral vanilla flavor.  Ube tastes like vanilla to me so it's always a very pleasant taste profile.

2nd batch was a butter rum/butterscotch flavor.  I made a homemade invert sugar and let it slightly caramelize.  About a cup, which was too much, too sweet (1/2 cup would be desired).  I also was too generous with the LorAnn Butter Rum flavoring,   It's a strongly flavored ice cream, almost boozy without booze.

All in all, if I can dial in the flavor technique better,  the texture is quite like standard churned ice cream.