• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ccp900

ccp900

On 7/16/2020 at 1:21 AM, paulraphael said:

I've been doing 77°C for 45 minutes. I do this to get the mix closer to 75°C. Sous-vide is an imperfect solution ... it takes a really long time for a bag of goo to get hot. I've almost never had a problem with the bag leaking. For chocolate ice cream I do 85°C (if I remember right). For this I double bag it, just in case. If all goes well, the outer bag stays clean and be reused. 

Recently I made 2 quarts at once, and since my supermarket was out of the gallon freezer bags, I used a 2-gallon bag. I gave it an extra 15 minutes just on the assumption that it would take longer to heat. It all worked fine.

Paul. When you play around with your sugar and you need more solids, you said that you use skim milk powder to bump up the solids.  Don’t you find your lactose levels too high when you do that? I am using maltodextrin but I am really rethinking that route since I am not a fan of its side effects so if I can use something else I will.  

Pure inulin is hard to find here and very expensive so I can’t go that route. I am starting to think maybe I can use psyllium husk for bulking

ccp900

ccp900

I've been doing 77°C for 45 minutes. I do this to get the mix closer to 75°C. Sous-vide is an imperfect solution ... it takes a really long time for a bag of goo to get hot. I've almost never had a problem with the bag leaking. For chocolate ice cream I do 85°C (if I remember right). For this I double bag it, just in case. If all goes well, the outer bag stays clean and be reused. 

Recently I made 2 quarts at once, and since my supermarket was out of the gallon freezer bags, I used a 2-gallon bag. I gave it an extra 15 minutes just on the assumption that it would take longer to heat. It all worked fine.

Paul. When you play around with your sugar and you need more solids, you said that you use skim milk powder to bump up the solids.  Don’t you find your lactose levels too high when you do that? I am using maltodextrin but I am really rethinking that route since I am not a fan of its side effects so if I can use something else I will.  

Pure insulin is hard to find here and very expensive so I can’t go that route. I am starting to think maybe I can use psyllium husk for bulking

ccp900

ccp900

Paul. When you play around with your sugar and you need ,ore solids, you said that you use skim milk powder to bump up the solids.  Don’t you find your lactose levels too high when you do that? I am using maltodextrin but I am really rethinking that route since I am not a fan of its side effects so if I can use something else I will.  

Pure insulin is hard to find here and very expensive so I can’t go that route. I am starting to think maybe I can use psyllium husk for bulking