• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

SLB

SLB

I have never heard of a pyrex dish breaking, under any circumstances!  I confess I'm stunned at the possibility.  Also, kind of intrigued.  

However.   My Emile Henry baking dish has a long, infuriatingly in-your-face crack in it.  I don't have any idea how it happened, and I still use the dish, which maybe is foolish.  But it was one of the most expensive things I had ever purchased at the time, and it was so pretty . . . and I am still annoyed about the crack.  I just did not think of the pan as precious, you know?  I thought all that money meant that it was a strong tool!  [In retrospect, I don't think it cost like a fortune or anything, I just bought it when I was a broke graduate student, and probably shouldn't've been buying anything].

One follow up -- the diffuser in my photo is not the SimmerMat, but rather is the one by Ilsa.  I do own the justly famous SimmerMat as well, though, and want to note that my Mixteca pot does NOT balance comfortably on its knobs, at least not on the design that I have.  It sits fine when the simmermat is inverted for use on the glass cook-top side.  I think Jaymes had said she was foregoing the diffusers all around, and the point has been made that this clay pot can take the direct flame; but I did want to make sure to point out that my pot sits on the Ilsa in the photo, just in case anyone was about to buy themselves a SimmerMat.  

<edited for gender mistake!>

SLB

SLB

I have never heard of a pyrex dish breaking, under any circumstances!  I confess I'm stunned at the possibility.  Also, kind of intrigued.  

However.   My Emile Henry baking dish has a long, infuriatingly in-your-face crack in it.  I don't have any idea how it happened, and I still use the dish, which maybe is foolish.  But it was one of the most expensive things I had ever purchased at the time, and it was so pretty . . . and I am still annoyed about the crack.  I just did not think of the pan as precious, you know?  I thought all that money meant that it was a strong tool!  [In retrospect, I don't think it cost like a fortune or anything, I just bought it when I was a broke graduate student, and probably shouldn't've been buying anything].

One follow up -- the diffuser in my photo is not the SimmerMat, but rather is the one by Ilsa.  I do own the justly famous SimmerMat as well, though, and want to note that my Mixteca pot does NOT balance comfortably on its knobs, at least not on the design that I have.  It sits fine when the simmermat is inverted for use on the glass cook-top side.  I think Jaymes had said she was foregoing the diffusers all around, and the point has been made that this clay pot can take the direct flame; but I did want to make sure to point out that my pot sits on the Ilsa in the photo, just in case anyone was about to buy themselves a SimmerMat.  

<edited for gender mistake>

SLB

SLB

One follow up -- the diffuser in my photo is not the SimmerMat, but rather is the one by Ilsa.  I do own the justly famous SimmerMat as well, though, and want to note that my Mixteca pot does NOT balance comfortably on its knobs, at least not on the design that I have.  It sits fine when the simmermat is inverted for use on the glass cook-top side.  I think Jaymes had said he was foregoing the diffusers all around, and the point has been made that this clay pot can take the direct flame; but I did want to make sure to point out that my pot sits on the Ilsa in the photo, just in case anyone was about to buy themselves a SimmerMat.