• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Candy mold help

ElainaA

For years I have made molded chocolates using either cheap, flimsy plastic molds or flexible silicone molds - with very consistent success. This year I purchased  a polycarbonate mold. Today I made to batches of chocolates - one using a combination of the new polycarbonate mold plus a cheap plastic mold and the other using a combination of a silicone mold and several cheap plastic molds. I tempered the chocolate for both batches using the same procedure. The batch in the cheap molds + silicone mold came out perfectly. For the batch in the polycarbonate mold, about 60% had severe bloom. The part of that batch in the plastic mold was perfect. (I was worried about that because it was the last mold poured.) I have never had bloom in molded chocolates before.

So - I assume there is a learning curve here? Is there something I need to do differently using a polycarbonate mold? I hope some of the experts out there can give me some advice.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

No.  I have not put the mold in the fridge at all. The only time i have ever done that is just before unmolding, for 10 - 15 minutes.

Edited by ElainaA (log)

When chocolate is rapidly crystallizing it gives off heat (the latent heat of crystallization) - and it can throw itself out of temper - some molds worse than others. I wait until I see the chocolate just starting to crystallize then I bung it in the fridge for somewhere between 10 and 30 minutes depending on the mold.

• Like 1

Kerry - Thanks for the advice - I'll try this next time.

I am wondering if the temperature of the mold might to an issue. Greweling says to heat the molds to 80 F before filling them, although he says this step is optional. My kitchen is cool - usually 667 - 68 F unless the oven and or wood stove are on. The new mold is MUCH heavier than my other molds so I am wondering if the cold plastic is throwing the chocolate out of temper. Since I had never warmed my other molds and never had problems it didn't occur to me to warm this one.

Edited by ElainaA (log)

Congratulations on the polycarbonate mold!  Were you filling it with solid chocolate or shelling & filling it? While your room is on the cooler side, I don't think that you need to pre-warm the molds.  The latent heat of crystallization can really effect solid chocolates... Should not be so much of an issue for shelled & filled chocolates at your room temperature. Follow Kerry's advice next time and let us know what happens.

Curls - I was shelling and filling. I'll try Kerry's advice. I am a strictly amateur, seasonal candy maker so my next try won't be for awhile. It was just surprising because I have never had this problem with my cheap molds - and buying this one felt like a leap for me.

Edited by ElainaA (log)