• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate osmosis?

pastryani

I made a batch of bonbons 2 weeks ago, filled with a rather soft cardamom white choc ganache. When I unmolded them they looked fine, but this is what they look like today:

The bonbons that were once smooth, are now grainy and bumpy. When you rub your finger across the surface, little whitish granules come off, but the surface is still bumpy (looks as though something from inside is trying to migrate to the outside).

What's going on here? I'm guessing they're no longer good to eat?

image.jpg

It sounds like sugar bloom. If they got some condensation on them at some point, it dissolves sugars in the chocolate, then the water evaporates and leaves sugar granules on the surface, giving the exact thing you're describing. Where were you storing them?

Edit: Ninja'd by the Chocolot!

Edited by keychris (log)