• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homemade almond milk consistency in oat bran

Jedelstein

I hope this is the right forum if not please point me in the right direction.  

I have been trying to make home made almond milk mainly for breakfast with my oat bran.  When I microwave 120 grams oat bran in 500mls of commercial no sugar almond milk I get a nice smooth somewhat creamy consistency with no clumping.  However when I do this with cow's milk, water or home made almond milk it seems to clump like crazy and the consistency is very heterogeneous.

The almond milk I have been making takes 0.5 cup almonds in 2 cups water.  Blended then strained with a nut bag.

I figured it was the additives in the soy milk so I bought some powdered soy lecithin but no luck.  I tried it in different ratios from adding 1/8 tsp up to 1 tsp.  It certainly changed the consistency and taste but it still clumped and tasted off at the higher amounts.  I also tried adding xantham gum to no avail.

The other ingredients I am missing or locust bean gum and guar gum.  

My next move is to find some locust bean gum off amazon I guess.  Anyone have any other ideas or some suggestions on what ratios to use for the soy lecithin and locust bean gum?