• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 2/13/2017 at 0:10 AM, liuzhou said:

I'll go back to the supermarket tomorrow and see if they have managed to label them or put someone with a brain on duty. It would be something of a first, though!

Well, it took me more than a day to get back. But I was in the same supermarket this morning and spotted that they had the mystery fish again and they had decided to label them. The sign read 黄尾鱼,which means 'yellow tail fish'. That is only slightly more helpful than just 'fish', but with their being literally dozens of fish varieties called yellowtail, I'm no nearer finding out.

But I bought some anyway. When the woman weighed and priced my selection, I noticed that the barcode sticker she printed  read "金丝鱼“ or "gold thread fish". Again this name appears to be given to many different species, none of which look like these.

Whatever they are, they made a nice lunch.

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 2/13/2017 at 0:10 AM, liuzhou said:

I'll go back to the supermarket tomorrow and see if they have managed to label them or put someone with a brain on duty. It would be something of a first, though!

Well, it took me more than a day to get back. But I was in the same supermarket this morning and spotted that they had the mystery fish again and they had decided to label them. The sign read 黄尾鱼,which means 'yellow tail fish'. That is only slightly more helpful than just 'fish', but with their being literally dozens of fish varieties called yellowtail, I'm no nearer finding out.

But I bought some anyway. When the woman weighed and priced my selection, I noticed that the barcode sticker she printed  read "金丝鱼“ or "gold thread fish". Again this name appears to be given to many different species, none of which look like these.

Whatever they are they made a nice lunch.