• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bangarang.

SoFraiche

My name is Ryan. I'm twenty-five-years-old and from Rhode Island. I have a wonderful fiancée and son and I love my family more than anything. I also enjoy loud music, good beer, and animals. I'm a graduate of Johnson & Wales University and it's just past my eleventh year in the industry. Until recently, I had also been a vegetarian for a decade and attribute my continuing interest in plant-based cuisine to this.

I'm the executive chef of an art bar in Providence called Julian's. We draw inspiration from various world cuisines while maintaining a distinctive American personality and our brunch is pretty awesome. While my primary focus is the restaurant, I also handle our busy catering department, as well as our newest project, Pizza J.

I look forward to being able to learn from the many talented individuals who frequent this forum. Hopefully I will have something cool to contribute.

10303773_695734203824666_530523012367161

12011393_964879300243487_792463940184749

11695903_937973949600689_285372436448985

11267163_906617906069627_221458138778474

1606909_683578731706880_2082495466_n.jpg

Edited by SoFraiche (log)

Welcome, SoFraiche. It looks like you may have a lot to contribute, so jump on in as time and interest permit. I'd be interested in hearing more about your career to date. How does one get started at such an early age?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Welcome!  Sounds like you'll fit right in here.  If you like beer you might want to look over our homebrewing class.  It's 9 years old now, but certainly not out of date.  Easiest way to find it is clicking the link in my sig.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. :)

Welcome, SoFraiche. It looks like you may have a lot to contribute, so jump on in as time and interest permit. I'd be interested in hearing more about your career to date. How does one get started at such an early age?

I started as a dishwasher/prep cook/kitchen hand at a local restaurant to help my mom pay bills after she was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. My chef was an old Frenchman who used to make me grab scorching hot souffles with my bare hands "because there [was] no time t grab a towel". I used to have to taste every meat before it was cooked to ensure it was seasoned properly (including chicken). To me, it was just a job and I never intended on staying in the restaurant industry, I just needed the money.

I ended up working in various kitchens and positions, working my way up the ladder, so to speak. When it came time to think about college, I realized that there wasn't anything I'd rather do for the rest of my life than cook. I decided to attend Johnson & Wales University to earn a degree in culinary arts.

I worked throughout college, earning the position sous chef at an award-winning Tuscan-inspired restaurant. I mentored under my old boss (and good friend) Nate, who taught me many things about leadership and workplace management. I left under good terms in order to find a restaurant that more closely matched my own tastes and preferences in cuisine and ultimately came upon Julian's. I was promoted to executive chef. Though it has been my biggest challenge to date, I have never felt happier to be at work (nor more at home).

• Like 2