• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beets

lindag

I love beets and have some diced up in the fridge almost all the time.

I can get them in five pound bags from the local Hutterites but that's a lot all at one time.

While I don't really have an interest in getting into canning, I'm wondering if I can prepare some in the pressure cooker then slice and pile them into canning jars with pickling spices and just keep them in the refrigerator.  Sound like a good idea?  Would I prepare them just as if I were going to can but then just refrigerate instead?

Yes, I think that would work just fine.  I'm no pressure cooker expert, but I think as long as you don't get them too soft that would work.  

I make a quick pickle that I just keep in the fridge, so yes, just prepare like you were going to can them but throw 'em in the icebox instead.

If you're actually going to pickle them, sure.  You'll lose the sterilization from pressure cooking by handling and packing. though, so even in the fridge will need acidity to get safe storage more than a week or so.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just bought two bunches of beets yesterday.   Roasted the beets whole and cleaned and prepped the greens for later use.   The greens never go to waste.  I will braise them with a little fine diced onion and a splash of vinegar like with other greens.  A runny fried egg on beet greens makes a dandy breakfast. 

• Like 3