• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dry Aged Beef Strip Steak .... do I grill it the same as regular beef??

gulfporter

Splurged on a 30-day dry-aged strip steak at a local meat market today.  

I will grill it.  

Should I expect the grilling time to be the same as for a 'regular' steak of the same thickness, size, etc.?

I normally apply a home-made rub (spicy/salty and a tad of brown sugar, too).  Should I use the rub on this dry-aged steak, or do I risk detracting from its flavor (especially since we've never had it before, not at home nor at a restaurant)?  

Any suggestions appreciated!

I think it depends on how long it's been aged. I've found that dry-aged meat will cook a little faster - so definitely keep an eye on it.

I also tend not to use rubs or marinades with dry-aged meat - especially those that have been aged over 30 days.

I agree with KT

dry aged steaks loose a fair amount of moisture while, well drying.

a little S & P would be my choice so as not to mask the flavor of the age.

it also very important to check the internal marbling.  its a well marbled 'truer prime' that's one thing

but if its an aged 'choice' thats another matter entirely.   these are difficult to grill well as they may end up very dry by mouth feel

my local 'better' chain has a dry aging 'chamber' where you can see racks and racks of 'whole T-bones etc' aging

they sell this meat in their 'butcher counter'   its expense and choice

although they never have labeled it 'prime'  most people think  dry age = prime

not so.   I tried one, grilled it over charcoal carefully and it was not in anyway worth the price.

follow your marbling  

Edited by rotuts (log)

uhmmmm..... I hate to throw cold wet meat on the party comma but....

was this dry aged as a primal

or

was this dry aged as a steak?

long aged beef has lost a lot of moisture; too hot / too fast / too high an internal temp and you will be spectacularly unimpressed.

very careful cooking control required.

if it was dry aged after being cut into steak(s) you might consider not cooking it at all and finishing the process for beef jerky.

It was aged as a large piece (what you're calling primal, I presume??).  They cut off a steak for me this morning.  It is prime.  

Id love to see some pics

looks like you are in for a treat !

do you grill by time or appearance or 'touch' ?

Id still argue for a little fresh ground pepper and a touch of kosher salt as all you do with it.

...cut this morning...

glad to hear that.  I'd been awake all night . . . (g)

there are places that "cut&age" - or say they . . . dunno - it's highly not recommended.

the big chunk - that would be a primal or slightly sub-primal

I'm with the s&p and skip the blast furnace temps.

Thx for all the suggestions.  

I grilled it (s&p only) and it was very good.  And yes, it did cook a bit faster than a regular steak.  

We are not regular beef eaters, but decided we wanted to try an aged steak.  It had a nice gamey flavor, but don't think we'd buy it again.  

We'll stick with duck which we find tastier (and less expensive!).  Duck also lends itself to more eclectic sauces and side dishes, IMO.

Edited by gulfporter (log)