• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

On 2/15/2020 at 6:00 AM, DiggingDogFarm said:

The only hot dogs I favor are chili dogs.

Called "Texas Hots" or just "Hots" here.

All beef hot dog, spiced finely ground beef sauce, diced fresh onion, and mustard.

ETA: Oh, and a lightly steamed bun!

Where I grew up, in the north east corner of NY state, such a dog is called a michigan. Ideally, the dogs should be the red Glazier frankfurters made with pork and beef and a snappy natural casing. 

You order your michigan "with," "without," or "with buried," all referring to the fresh chopped onion. In the last option, the onions are buried under dog and sauce.  Mustard is applied in a single line.  I've never heard of any other condiments being used. I don't know what would happen if you asked for ketchup or relish.  It certainly doesn't seem right. 

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

All beef hot dog, spiced finely ground beef sauce, diced fresh onion, and mustard.

Where I grew up, in the north east corner of NY state, such a dog is called a michigan. Ideally, the dogs should be the red Glazier frankfurters made pork and beef and a snappy natural casing. 

You order your michigan "with," "without," or "with buried," all referring to the fresh chopped onion. In the last option, the onions are buried under dog and sauce.  Mustard is applied in a single line.  I've never heard of any other condiments being used. I don't know what would happen if you asked for ketchup or relish.  It certainly doesn't seem right. 

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Where I grew up, in the north east corner of NY state, such a dog is called a michigan. Ideally, the dogs should be the snappy red Glazier frankfurters made with a natural casing.