• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle restaurants...

Greetings! I'm a Vancouverite that's going to ignore the nasty exchange rate and head down to Seattle for a weekend this month to have a bit of fun (eat... shop...eat some more).

Would love to get a few restaurant recommendations from fellow egullet members. We're looking for a place that's not too expensive (entrees between $15-25 US), could be of any type of ethnicity but has to have a funky/fun atmosphere (I've seen pics of you PNW folks and you always look like you're having lots of fun!)

We're staying at the Hotel Monaco downtown, but don't mind driving if we have to. What is the restaurant at the Hotel Monaco like? Last time we went to Seattle we tried going to the Flying Fish but by the time we found a parking spot, the place was jam-packed and we couldn't get in. Is the Flying Fish worth trying out?

I've eaten at Sazerac in the Hotel Monaco a couple of times and it's quite good. Think upscale Southern food. Do not eat there if you're on a diet - Rich and heavy, but in a good way.

Across the street you'll find Earth and Ocean. There are several reviews from members here in the PNW board, but I think the general feeling is the food is interesting and creative, though portions can be small. Famous for their truffle french fries. The Lobby bar is particularly chic.

Tulio, an Italian restaurant just a few blocks from the Monaco is also very good. Understated and plush rather than fun and funky, though.

Best dinner deal downtown is definitely the bar menu at Brasa. The prices are very reasonable all the time, but during happy hour all the food on the bar menu is half price. Read all about it here. Of course their regular menu in the main dining room is excellent and should not be overlooked.

Tom Douglas's Dahlia Lounge is always excellent, though I haven't been there since they moved to their new location.

One of my favorite fun and funky places is The Capitol Club just up the hill from downtown (walk-able). Very reasonable creative Mediterranean/Moroccan inspired food, and a good bartender. The menu leans toward appetizers, so I usually order 3 or four starters - kinda like Moroccan tapas.

I know Le Pichet is a huge favorite around here, but I still haven't eaten there, so I will leave it to others to rave about. Same with Matt's at the Market.

And of course, there's always the Cheesecake Factory. :biggrin::hmmm:

I agree with nightscotsman's excellent suggestions, although I must admit that our last meal at Sazerac was a dud. Having said that, I cannot remember exactly why (which makes my comment unfair, I know). I do remember that the floor manager was less than diplomatic (we asked the hostess for a table far away from the bar where smoking is permitted and his response to her was something like "They will just have to take what we have". This happened with us standing there but he basically behaved as if we were not present). I do remember that we were disappointed in the meal but the evening was colored by a poor start.

Matt's in the Market is great but very small so without a reservation, you will be lucky to eat at the bar. Also, for lunch, try Maximillien (just to the left of the fishthrowers in Pike Place Market), especially on a clear day. Dinner is also quite good there. A real treat is 727 Pine but might be a bit more expensive than you suggested. Andaluca is great for tapas.

We like Earth & Ocean, although the servings on the "foraged menu" are a bit small. Very hip place and we have always had great service, although others disagree. Waterfront is very classy with a price to match.

I know you mentioned moderately priced dinners, but ask for omakase and you can specify the limit for you party. If there's two of you, they'd be happy to do a $50 limit. If Batgrrrl and I were going to be in town this weekend, we'd join you, but alas, we're going to Canada! Naramata, by Lake Okanagan to be exact. If only the wineries were open!

Le Pichet is one my favorites (and my husband's #1 favorite). It fulfills the fun and funky you desire, as well as the price range. Here's one review (don't get too invested in any of the dishes mentioned; the menu changes frequently):

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/food/19421_rest20x.shtml

You would need to make reservations a few days in advance, but I highly recommend it.

Edit: Here's more info, with a sample menu and photos!

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/pacificnw...17/cover06.html

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Wow! I just wanted to thank everyone for all of the great suggestions. I see this is going to be a tougher decision than I originally thought.

I'll be sure to keep you all posted as to where we end up going.

Thanks again,

Scout

Wow Scout sounds like your wrapping this forum up already. we braved Seattle and the US dollar in November and had a great time especially at Sazerac which we went to because our travelling companion just opened a place in West Van that his manager patterned after Sazerac. Actually the places are not at all alike but both are good. Here in the order of appeal are the places we ate:

The Harvest Vine, Le Pichet, Cafe Campagne, Sazerac, Tulio's, And Emmet Watson's.

I also had a business dinner at the Icon Grill and at Buco di Beppo. Both of these places were just alright.

I recomend the Harvest Vine because it is a truly unique experience. Emmett Watsons is a dive so you have to be in the right mood.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Coop Posted on Jan 9 2003, 05:39 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow Scout sounds like your wrapping this forum up already.  

No way! Please feel free to keep the suggestions coming. All of these great places will give me an excuse to visit Seattle more often.

Edited by scout (log)

You should also consider Matt's in the Market, (Pike Place Market) 94 Pike St. (Suite 32 in the Corner Market Building), Seattle; 206-467-7909.

It's a tiny place, but very funky and charming, and the food is wonderful (I've only tried their seafood dishes which were great, but I've heard raves about everything there - I recommend whatever the fish special is that day). Ingredients are very fresh & come from Pike Place Market. They are open for both lunch and dinner. For maximum fun/funk, you might try sitting at the counter to view the open kitchen, or get a window table w/a view if one is available. Call before going, as the place is very (emphasis) tiny.

col klink Posted on Jan 9 2003, 06:06 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know you mentioned moderately priced dinners, but ask for omakase and you can specify the limit for you party. If there's two of you, they'd be happy to do a $50 limit. If Batgrrrl and I were going to be in town this weekend, we'd join you, but alas, we're going to Canada! Naramata, by Lake Okanagan to be exact. If only the wineries were open!  

col klink - Hope you have a great time up in Naramata! I've been upto the Okanagan area a zillion times, but haven't made it there yet.

We're actually going to be in Seattle the weekend of Jan. 18/19. Noticed you guys are getting together for dim sum on the 19th. Would love to join everyone if a) we can find the time to fit it in and b) if you guys don't mind an out of towner crashing your party.

Cheers,

Scout

I would definately echo the reccomendations for Matt's in the Market. High on both the fantastic food and funky meter....

I would also second (or third?) Maximilien and Le Pichet.

I would encourage you to consider Harvest Vine, just a little east of downtown (but still in Seattle). Fabulous Spanish tapas and paella. If you can keep yourself from trying everything on the menu, it can be affordable.

Another favorite of mine is Le Gourmand, absolutely superb food and a nice, but funky place. They offer a 3-course fixed price menu that varies between about $35 and $45 depending on what entree you choose. It is located in the Ballard neighborhood, which is northwest of downtown.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

We're actually going to be in Seattle the weekend of Jan. 18/19.  Noticed you guys are getting together for dim sum on the 19th.  Would love to join everyone if a) we can find the time to fit it in and b) if you guys don't mind an out of towner crashing your party.

We'd love it, scout! I hope you can make it.

Kathy

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

OK, I finally had lunch at Le Pichet today and can echo all the raves - it was fabulous! We shared a rough country pork pate with honeyed walnuts (perfect), and I had the salad of curried brandade fritters, frisee, red wine poached pears and toasted pecans (amazing). We finished by sharing a cup of their insanely thick and rich hot chocolate (not on the menu) with a side of whipped cream - there is no way one person could eat (too thick drink) an entire cup of this stuff. Not at all expensive - I think my half was about $15. You must eat here.

It would be great if you could join us for Dim Sum! Of course, even though I think Jumbo is quite good, there is no way it could live up to what you must be used to in Vancouver, but it'll be fun anyway.

We finished by sharing a cup of their insanely thick and rich hot chocolate (not on the menu) with a side of whipped cream - there is no way one person could eat (too thick drink) an entire cup of this stuff.

Ha! I laugh at your challenge! I polished off a cup of the exact same hot chocolate you mentioned today! Katie only got halfway.

We were wandering around downtown and decided we needed a chocolate bomb so we wandered in and got some. Ohhh so good. I was sorry I finished the whole thing though. I was full the rest of the day.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

• 2 weeks later...

It would be nice to eat there, if only one could navigate their yes-we-do/no-we-don't reservation policy. I've become very aggravated with them.

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

It would be nice to eat there, if only one could navigate their yes-we-do/no-we-don't reservation policy.  I've become very aggravated with them.

My understanding of their policy is that they take reservations if you want to come in during the first half-hour after they open, otherwise you're on your own. Have you heard otherwise?

Scout.....where did you end up eating and what did you think??

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946