• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brioche buns in Winnipeg?

Does anyone know of a bakery that sells brioche buns in Winnipeg? Trying to track some down for burgers but not having much luck. Stellas can do them but require a larger order with 24 hours notice

thanks!

I glanced at a few recipes and it looked intimidating, though probably not once you get the hang of it. I have a KA stand mixer so not too concerned about kneading. post the recipe if it's not too much trouble!

Is this how things always go on this forum? When I asked about where to buy sour mix I ended up making my own too!

I glanced at a few recipes and it looked intimidating, though probably not once you get the hang of it. I have a KA stand mixer so not too concerned about kneading. post the recipe if it's not too much trouble!

Is this how things always go on this forum? When I asked about where to buy sour mix I ended up making my own too!

Hi, Chris:

I'll give it in metric measurements.  This would probably make 3-4 hamburger buns.

125g flour

100g butter

70ml water

2 eggs

50g honey

5.5g salt (1t)

3g instant yeast (1t)

Combine eggs honey, water, salt and melted butter in a bowl.  Whisk vigorously for 30 seconds.

Add yeast to flour and sift the mix into your liquid mixture.  Whisk or mix until smooth, about another 30 seconds.  Cover and let rest for 2 hours at room temperature.

Turn out on floured board and fold over 4 times.  Return to bowl, cover with clingform, and refrigerate for 24-48 hours.

Remove from fridge and divide and shape into required shapes.  Cover again and prove for 2-3 hours in/on buttered form, parchment or sheet.  Option:  Brush tops with beaten egg diluted with a bit with water.

Preheat oven to 190C (370F).  Brush tops again with eggwash, then bake for 10 minutes on middle rack.

Reduce heat to 160C (320F) and bake another 15 minutes.  If tops are darkening too quickly, place cookie sheet on top rack to shield.

Let cool for several minutes before turning out.  Option:  Brush tops with more melted butter.

This dough will not rise much until the final proof, and will be sticky to deal with until floured.  Good luck.

Edited by boilsover (log)

Appreciate your giving the measurements in "metric" boilsover as for things like flour they are much more accurate than "cups" and easier to deal with for things like butter/yogurt etc.

I googled "eggless brioche" and found that most posters found that the results were less brioche-like than they would have preferred. I will try this recipe when I get some eggs in. Any thoughts on freezing the dough at some point to make it more spontaneous as opposed the 24-48 first proof. Ideally l'd like to freeze after that time frame.

@chris_s: l don't feel too bad about my hometown's lack of culinary delights seeing as how a city like Winnipeg has its own deficiencies.

p