• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Caramel Ganache Improvements?

parameda

Hi,

I was wondering if someone would be willing to share basic caramel ganache proportions (caramel to chcolate). I made the one from Grewelling's book but I could barely taste caramel in it. I would like something with a bit more caramel flavour. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

How dark are you letting your caramel get? People often don't let it get anywhere near dark enough and end up without much flavour. Some people say cooking the caramel slowly also generates more flavour but I haven't tested that myself. I haven't used Grewling's recipe but he is meant to be reliable so it might be worth another shot.

===================================================

I kept a blog during my pâtisserie training in France: Candid Cake

cooking it fast or slow makes no difference IMHO. you just need to cook it out far enough - at least until you're starting to see it foam (I'm assuming dry-caramelisation), but I usually go until the entire sugar is foaming and very dark. But I like bitter caramel!

cooking it fast or slow makes no difference IMHO. you just need to cook it out far enough - at least until you're starting to see it foam (I'm assuming dry-caramelisation), but I usually go until the entire sugar is foaming and very dark. But I like bitter caramel!

Unfortunately, there is such a fine line between perfect and inedible...