• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cosme - Hot, Hot, Hot

weinoo

Cosme is probably one of the hottest openings of late 2014, and one of the 2 or 3 best openings of last year in NYC.

This week, the Times' review hit, and it's a 3-star rave up.

The New Yorker review also hit this week.

Adam Platt in New York/Grub Street grudgingly gives it 3 stars.

Time Out New York - utter rave.

And this nebbishy Jewish kid from Long Island liked it too...Tasty Travails.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I was there a couple of weeks ago - it was nice to see a new place that lived up to the hype.

ETA: Mitch, I'll give you my thoughts on a couple of dishes I had that you didn't have:

Sea Urchin tostada - if you like sea urchin, this one is a huge winner. This was probably the best sea urchin dish I've had in years, and that is saying something!

Smoked Sepia: overall, I enjoyed this dish, but found the smoke flavor a little disjointed

Sliced raw hamachi: This reminded me of a dish I used to get at Bond St. many years ago. But, I thought this one was a little more inventive (and tasty).

Cobia al pastor: I thought this was really really interesting. I don't have much cobia experience, but thought it did well with the "al pastor" treatment. It came with pineapple puree as well as paper thin slices of pineapple to add to your taco.

Duck carnitas (for 2): This was a very rich dish - I absolutely loved my first few bites, but I grew tired of it after a while. I'd recommend ahving this dish with say 4 people - then it would be absolutely perfect. Since we were only 2 people, I found the best way to cut the richness was to add either a lot more salsa verde (they were happy to bring more) or more lime... but I also thought it could use a little more salt if having more than a few bites.

Edited by KennethT (log)