• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jar Lifter

Shel_B

andiesenji, on 01 Feb 2015 - 12:27 PM, said:snapback.png

I have two of these that I used to use for this purpose - baked custards, etc., 

Do you know what the diameter of the rack is?  Will it fit into my 9 3/4 inch Corningware baking dish?  Do you think it'll work with these custard cups?

I found out the diameter ... hope you didn't go to any trouble.  In any case, Thanks!

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

The tool I suggested in post number 7, I believe is the only tool that can lift (round) plates and containers big or small, lite or heavy, securely using only one hand.

Yes.

It's a nice tool, but I don't see how it will work to lift these ramekins from the tray ...

attachicon.gifRamekins in Tray.jpg

attachicon.gifRamekins in Tray Overhead.jpg

It should work with the OP's ramekins, with that protruding flange (although rounded) around the top of the bowl/ramekin, as the hooks of the calipers/tongs will grasp under the flange and also gain the benefit of the top of the ramekin being wider than the point at which the tong hooks are grasping the ramekin.  So long as one maintains a good strong hand grip/pressure while lifting and the contents are not too heavy.

I've had mine for a very long time with frequent use made of them.  As for "quality" and whatnot, well, they've lasted me something like 20 years or so (or more) - but then I try to treat and use my utensils with due care.

I suppose the reactions here though suggest that folks might be inclined to use something else, even for uses such as those (like lifting plates with clear, defined (slightly overhanging) rims that this implement was designed for, and which you and I use it for.  :-)

You have some great suggestions here and like many I use the inexpensive lifter referred to in #2 post which works absolutely fine, I have never had an issue and I have been using mine for 20 years.  I too like to buy quality items but in this case it's a simple tool that does the job.  If you find something exceptional let us know.  

• Like 1