• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My First Flan

Shel_B

First, allow me to thank everyone who gave me advice about making custards and about making the crème caramel.  Your input was very helpful.

This shot shows the caramel just after having been poured into the ramekins.  I used 6-oz Anchor glass cups because they were the right size for small, individual portions that I'll use for an upcoming dinner, plus I like the idea of being able to look through the glass to see how the ingredients look at various stages of preparation.

Caramel in Glass Cups.jpg

This shot shows the finished, plated flan, which is about what I'll be serving for our upcoming dinner.  The plating looks pretty good, although suggestions on making it a little nicer would be appreciated.

First Flan Full Shot.jpg

And here's the portion cut open.  It looks like there are no air bubbles, runny liquid, or signs of overcooking.

Flan Cut Open.jpg

What's needed now is a better balance between the sugar in the custard and the crème caramel.  I used a little less sugar in the custard than usual because of the caramel's sweetness.  However, I may have cut back just a little too much, so the flans I'll make for dinner will have a little more sugar, or I may adjust the caramel in some way. Also, I may want to add a little more vanilla bean ...

First Flan Full Shot.jpg

Flan Cut Open.jpg

Caramel in Glass Cups.jpg

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 3

... Shel