• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookery School

OK, so New Year, new resolutions, and number one, go to cookery class. Not that I can't cook (I can and am not too bad) but would really like to learn much more. So I have been looking around here and was surprised a search didn't really turn up anything bar a veggie cooking class.

Looked around the web and found divertimenti, was interested in their hands on courses, will have to go on a waiting list i suppose as they seem to be sold out. Anyone done this? Or recommend any others, will have to be evening classes, pref in town or SW london.

Not that I can't cook (I can and am not too bad) but would really like to learn much more.

I don't know if it's formal training you seek or simply to exend your knowledge in any way you can. But there are many ways you could learn more.

I recently asked the head chef at the best local hotel hereabouts if I could work for him one night a week - free of charge - so I could learn more about modern techniques, presentation, thinking etc. He was delighted to talk with me and has agreed to accomodate my request.

I am really looking forward to it. Who needs a life outwith cooking anyway?

Depends how formal a commitment you want - one off courses on specific subjects, or a whole 'genre' of cuisine? also how much money you want to spend, and where you are located.

London options seem to be:

Leiths and Le Cordon Bleu - expensive, but comprehensive

Asian and Oriental school of cookery in Hoxton Square - inexpensive

Books for Cooks - one off demos (no hands on) on a variety of cuisines which take place during the day. Their website is www.booksforcooks.com. They also have a cookery school in Italy. This shop (in Blenheim Crescent) is a gem if you don't know about it already - they also have a booklet which they sell that lists cookery courses, plus they'll probably be nice enough to tell you over the phone if they know of anything off hand.

Various London borough-based offerings by the local colleges offer cookery courses, call the council for details. I know Westminster Kingsway (or something like that?) is well-known for this, Hammersmith has something pretty evolved as well. These tend to be inexpensive but very professionally-oriented so require large time commitment.

Outside London:

Bristol: I know a cooking teacher there with whom I can put you in contact, she may even have a school.

Other: I have a list somewhere which I can fax to you, if you want it, of people who give cooking courses around the country. Give me a few days to find it.

I have never taken a cooking course - so this might not be the best advice - however I have looked into many both here and the US.

You have a few options, depending on the level of commitment. You could probably disregard any diploma oriented courses, as those are generally for a carreer in the industry, and require a lot of time and money. The well know Cordon Bleu has a school here in London, and they do offer evening or week-end courses which last a few months - these courses fit between one-day/week-end courses and a full diploma. The latter, from what I hear, are not really worthwhile if you are somewhat serious in your learining expectations. Having said that, there are numerous specialized courses which are worthwhile once you have a good skill-set as a base.

In my opinion, if what you are seeking is to increase and imporve your techniques, i would stick to french cuisine as what you will learn will be applicable to any cooking style.

Schools in London:

Le Cordon Bleu - London

Leith's

Books for Cooks - apparently some decent day courses

The only other advice I can give is DIY - get yourself a copy of Jacque Pepin's La Technique which is a re-release of two technique books, la technioque and la methode, and go through it. It is by far the best technique book out there. It did the trick for me.

che

Edited by CheGuevara (log)

Not bothered with ending up with a bit of paper at the end of it, I am only doing it for my own enjoyment (and hopefully those i cook for!)

Really want to concentrate in classic french and british, think that will give the best basis for future cooking. Going to order that book from amazon and check out some of the classes.

• 6 months later...

Cookery course? Don't do full culinary school. I've seen too many bad cooks who think they know everything coming from there. Might be better in the UK I suppose as I'm in America. To me the way to learn to cook is to cook. We are doing the online courses which will help though. Personally, I'm teaching a class in plate presentation. I'd suggest logging in and taking all the egullet courses that sound good to you and taking from that whatever you can. After that, read. . .just like artists don't really need art school, chefs don't really need chef school. A little nudge in the right direction always helps though. That's what the egullet classes will be.