• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crystalized Caramel Problem

Bryanrobh

I made a batch of caramel yesterday and when I woke up this morning it had hardens into a brittle and fudge like consistency. For the first time I used a copper pot to cook in and also I poured the caramel into a silicon baking sheet to cool instead of the usual metal pan. I am sure the copper didn't have anything to do with the problem so I am guessing it was the silicon mold sheet? Any ideas?

I agree. I cook my caramels in copper kettles all the time, they conduct heat amazingly. It sounds to me like you inadvertently got some sugar crystals in your caramel and it did crystallize the entire batch. Adding glucose will help keep the sugar crystals under control