• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

12 minutes ago, kayb said:

Found it at the link. Saved and noted. Thanks.

In the chest freezer with a temperature and humidity controller, curing/aging at low temperature and relative humidity—I've never needed to humidify, just dehumidify.

No need to cut any holes or anything like that. 

Opening the freezer a couple times per day for inspection is all that's needed.

Dehumidification is done via a pound of food safe silica gel.

The apparatus I linked to above is very simple, it's basically a 12v PC fan in a housing.

The fan circulates air through the silica gel, which, of course, traps moisture.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

2 minutes ago, kayb said:

Found it at the link. Saved and noted. Thanks.

In the chest freezer with a temperature and humidity controller, curing/aging at low temperature and relative humidity—I've never needed to humidify, just dehumidify.

No need to cut any holes or anything like that. 

Opening the freezer a couple times per day for inspection is all that's needed.

Dehumidification is done via a pound of food safe silica gel.

The apparatus I linked to above is very simple, it's basically a 12v PC fan in a housing.

The fan circulates air through the silica gel, the silica gel, which, of course, traps moisture.