• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

dcarch

dcarch

Don't mean to go off topic:

Knife making can take you years of learning and practicing. 

Or you can have a very useful knife made cheaply, if you have a few simple tools.

Since I didn't want to spend $500; A knife I made: a 330mm single bevel yanagiba.

• $20.00 tool steel (D-2 steel) on ebay. Tool steel can be excellent for kitchen knives. Tool Steel is made for cutting steel. 
  • Shape the steel with an angle grinder into a blade you want ( you can buy an angle grinder from HarborF for less than$20 if you don't have one)
  • Send to have the blade cryo-hardened and tempered ($20)
  • Sharpen the hardened blade yourself, add handle.

dcarch

59ce60a99bd95_longknife.thumb.jpg.aa0584c3dc7ed1566d7d6189094b896b.jpg

dcarch

dcarch

Don't59ce60a99bd95_longknife.thumb.jpg.aa0584c3dc7ed1566d7d6189094b896b.jpg mean to go off topic:

Knife making can take you years of learning and practicing. 

Or you can have a very useful knife made cheaply, if you have a few simple tools.

Since I didn't want to spend $500; A knife I made: a 330mm single bevel yanagiba.

• $20.00 tool steel (D-2 steel) on ebay. Tool steel can be excellent for kitchen knives. Tool Steel is made for cutting steel. 
  • Shape the steel with an angle grinder into a blade you want ( you can buy an angle grinder from HarborF for less than$20 if you don't have one)
  • Send to have the blade cryo-hardened and tempered ($20)
  • Sharpen the hardened blade yourself, add handle.

dcarch