• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

I find serranos pretty regularly at Sobey's. They seem to have a better selection of fresh peppers than Superstore, as a rule, though Superstore is now carrying more dried peppers (no more trips to Maine for anchos, hurray!). 

I live in a different part of the country, of course, but I have to guess if they're available in small-town New Brunswick (I've bought them in St. Stephen) you should be able to find them pretty much anywhere in Ontario as well. 

Doesn't seem to work quite that way. Until very recently the produce in our Sobey store would not even qualify for the reduced rack in most other supermarkets!  The quality was poor and the selection abysmal. I used to walk around the store saying under my breath  "I hate this place.  I hate this place. I hate this place."   I understand things have improved but I have not been back. I can remember seeing Serranos in one super market once.   The nice thing about peppers is that if they do appear they are worth grabbing and freezing.  I don't get to very many supermarkets very often so there may be others who are having different experiences in the same area where I live.  I am quite sure there is little that could not be found in downtown Toronto or perhaps even downtown Hamilton. Even Mississauga a neighbouring town has an extremely diverse population and a good selection of specialty grocery stores.  Ontario is a huge province and things vary from north to south and east to west. Everything should not be judged on Toronto. 

Anna N

Anna N

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

I find serranos pretty regularly at Sobey's. They seem to have a better selection of fresh peppers than Superstore, as a rule, though Superstore is now carrying more dried peppers (no more trips to Maine for anchos, hurray!). 

I live in a different part of the country, of course, but I have to guess if they're available in small-town New Brunswick (I've bought them in St. Stephen) you should be able to find them pretty much anywhere in Ontario as well. 

Doesn't seem to work quite that way. Until very recently the produce in our Sobey store would not even qualify for the reduced rack in most other supermarkets!  The quality was poor and the selection abysmal. I used to walk around the store saying under my breath  "I hate this place.  I hate this place. I hate this place."   I understand things have improved but I have not been back. I can remember seeing Serranos in one super market once.   The nice thing about peppers is that if they do appear they are worth grabbing and freezing.  I don't get to very many supermarkets very often so there may be others who are having different experiences in the same area where I live.  I am quite sure there is little that could not be found in downtown Toronto or perhaps even downtown Hamilton. Even Mississauga a neighbouring town has an extremely diverse population and a good selection of specialty grocery stores.  Ontario is a huge province and seems very from north to south and east to west. Everything should not be judged on Toronto.