• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burned caramelized ketchup

Anonymous Modernist 3421

I tried to make the pressure caramelized ketchup two times in a row but when I opened the pressure cooker both times it was burned on the bottom, I dont know if my pressure cooker takes too long to reach full pressure, I removed it completely from the burner after reaching full pressure and putted it back on low heat to continue the cooking watching carefully to make sure it didnt overheated. I have tried other recipes like salsa marinara and the salsa didn't burn. Anyone knows what can I do? sf-confused.gif

I experienced the exact same thing twice yesterday. First time through I made it at full pressure and could smell it burning within minutes of hitting full pressure. Second time through I only went a half bar (8 psi) for 18 minutes and I still wound up with the same burned mess (although slightly less charred). I measured every ingredient down to the gram. Once at pressure, I took the gas flame as low as possible and still maintaining pressure. Something seems wrong with the amount of liquid, as both times my pans were completely dry and burnt. I've noticed a few other posters experiencing the same thing. Has anyone verified the water amount in the recipe? It seems shocking low for 25 minutes at full pressure.