• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canning jars, bottles, and mason jars

I'm about to embark on my first set of recipes from Modernist Cuisine at Home. ”˜Pressure-Cooked Garlic Confit‚’ and ”˜Pressure-Caramalized Onions‚’ are among those recipes.

My question relates to canning jars. On page 33 there is a discussion on ”˜Pressure Cooking in Canning Jars‚’ and mentions mason jars specifically. Unfortunately I did not remember this as I purchased canning jars from the local kitchen supply store. I did not realise at the time that the ones I purchased were not mason jars; they do not have the separate sealing lid which fits inside the screw-top lid. The lid is all one piece.

Can these be used as canning jars for pressure cooking?

Not all canning jars come with bands, and lids. Some have "regular" looking lids. However, you do need to ensure the jars are suitable for canning. "Any ol' jar" might be designed for jams and hot water baths.

Canning jars are designed to resist the super-heated environment in the pressure cooker without cracking or shattering.

Do your jars have a brand name?

Ciao,

L

• 5 months later...

I like canning ginger syrup and various cocktail supplies. I've used mason jars of various dimensions for canning so far. One problem with mason jars is that it pouring liquids out is quite messy. What are some other canning container options for small volumes of liquid (about 8oz)?

Can "air-tight" glass bottles like the following be used in canning?

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/airtight-glass-bottle/s216669

• 3 months later...