• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Deryn

Deryn

So, according the Dave's brief summary, it seems that the 3 day technique basically involves separating cloves from the bulb (but leaving the skins on), spritzing with a bit of water, wrapping in wet-ish paper towels and then in foil, placing the garlic in a crock pot with another wet paper towel (that he keeps wet for the duration), and turning it over once a day for the 3 days.

Would be nice to get more specific instructions but at least the method is now uncovered to a certain extent. I would presume that he may also have to add some cover around the top to be sure it is well sealed. My only worry/question would be what temperature the crock pot maintains (for safety's sake more than for producing the blackness, etc.) but I have to guess that it would be set to its hottest temp. Do all crockpots maintain the same 'high' temp?

p.s. Next time I am down south I may be tempted to buy this machine: Amazon link to 'Professional Black Garlic Fermenter' .. less than $120 in the US, but I think well over $500 CAD on Amazon's Canadian site last I looked!

Deryn

Deryn

So, according the Dave's brief summary, it seems that the 3 day technique basically involves separating cloves from the bulb (but leaving the skins on), spritzing with a bit of water, wrapping in wet-ish paper towels and then in foil, placing the garlic in a crock pot with another wet paper towel (that he keeps wet for the duration), and turning it over once a day for the 3 days.

Would be nice to get more specific instructions but at least the method is now uncovered to a certain extent. I would presume that he may also have to add some cover around the top to be sure it is well sealed. My only worry/question would be what temperature the crock pot maintains (for safety's sake more than for producing the blackness, etc.) but I have to guess that it would be set to its hottest temp. Do all crockpots maintain the same 'high' temp?

p.s. Next time I am down south I may be tempted to buy this machine: Amazon link to 'Professional Black Garlic Fermenter'

Deryn

Deryn