• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Induction Burners Replacement for Stove top?

MikeMac

Always cooked with gas - love gas simple to use and its nice to see to adjust the flame.

Then I got an induction burner - huge adjustment but for the better. Even with being limited a counter top plug in model I find it faster and more controllable that gas. Where it really plays well is with a pressure cooker.

If I was redoing a kitchen and had access to lots of power with out destroying the rest of the house I would definitely switch to an Induction cook top.

Do others think induction cooktops are the way of the future?

Mike Macdonald Calgary

• 3 weeks later...

When I purchased my house three years ago, a gas stove was not really an option and I absolutely did not want an electric cook top. I heard about induction so I purchased a portable one while I was still in my old house (I was going to do extensive remodeling before I moved into the new house). I loved the portable one so I purchased a induction cook top for the new house. The induction cook top is much better than the portable one and I could never go back to gas. I agree it does take getting use to but once you get use to it, it is great! There are some hybrid models out there (part electric and part induction) but I decided since I needed new pots anyway, just purchase the all induction cook top.

I forgot to mention the best part about induction burners (at least the portable ones) is the timer feature. It allows you to "automate" your stove top pressure cooker. When the cooker reaches pressure, just type in the "pressure cooking time" in the induction unit. When the cooking time is finished, it will beep, turn off the heat and begin the "natural release" all by itself. LOVE IT.

Lharris, do the induction ranges also have a timer for each burner?

Ciao,

L

my unit does not have a timer but I could see how that would be useful. I think the biggest difference between portable and wired in would be the power. Portable units would be limited by plug in electrical current usually 15 amps at 110 Volts - I can just imagine how fast things would happen with wired in power like a standard cooktop would get 30 amps at 220 Volts.

Mike Macdonald Calgary