• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yes, the dry aging process really is that simple. If you want to do it at home to an extended period of time I think your best bet is to buy a small wine refrigerator that keeps humidity as well as temperature constant. It is always better to have a controlled environment when dry aging. These wine refrigerators can be had for pretty cheap (sub $100). If you are not going to dry age for an extended period of time 2 - 3 days in your refrigerator should be able right. Just salt your steaks, put them on a cooling rack on a sheet pan and wait.

• 3 weeks later...

It is less of an issue of cross-contamination and more of an issue of flavor transfer. To avoid contamination, it's most important to make sure that air is circulating around the meat well. Mold can grow in moist spots.

As for being affected by other foods, a lot of aromas are fat soluble so desired aromas can be absorbed in the fatty tissue of meat.

• 1 month later...

hi,

I noticed that a lot of the wine coolers are thermoelectric, which seems like it would be a nice more energy efficient way to go... but I don't see many that can 1. go under 40F 2. are made of stainless steel for easy cleaning. 3. have glass door to look at meat. 4. have a fan to circulate the air.

Any suggestions for something that won't break the bank but will do a nice job from the counter top?