• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Problems with Gellan

Anonymous Modernist 3337

So, I am pretty comfortable, and experienced, with many hydrocolloids, spherifacation etc, but I have never had anything but problems with gellan gum. I've tried numerous recipes from MC and from El Bulli, and the problem is always the same. Everything looks good until the gellan/liquid comes to a boil, then it immediately starts to clump and get disgusting. What, exactly, is going on, and how can I avoid it?

• 4 weeks later...

Gellan is a very fussy hydrocolloid. It has very promising properties because you can manipulate texture quite precisely. But because it's ion-dependent it can act very differently depending on the liquid you are using. We go into this in more depth at the beginning of the Modernist hydrocolloids section of MC.

Which kind of gellan are you using? Gellan F or LT 100? What liquid are you using?