• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What are Lamb Tips?

Shel_B

Yesterday Toots brought home some prepackaged "lamb tips" from Trader Joe's.  I never heard of such a thing.  Does anyone know what lamb tips are, and any suggestions on how to cook 'em?  I was thinking of a slow braise in the oven, but without knowing what these things are, maybe that's not the right approach.  Thanks!

... Shel

Interesting marketing...I would've asked in the store, but since that didn't happen - I'm guessing  they could be from any part of the beast, but most likely shoulder or leg, and  probably can be cooked with either moist or dry heat.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Can you post a photo of them?

No, I can't because we had them for dinner, and now I know what they are.  It's nothing more than stew meat, and the pieces are random sizes.  It looked like one big piece of meat in the package, so that confused me.  The meat was marinated, and was reasonably tasty, but Toots and I agreed that we wouldn't buy them.  As it turns out, they were a gift from one of her clients, so we certainly got our money's worth.

Thanks to all for jumping in.

... Shel