• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Electric Dutch oven

yogi42

I'm a new member on eGullet and this is my first post. Hoping some food enthusiast out there can help. I'm looking to replace a circa 1970 Oster electric dutch oven with something new. Mine is battered and scraped, but I can't bring myself to get rid of this appliance that I use several times per week. It makes great soups, stews, sauces, beans, stocks, everything this vegetarian loves to eat. What is the #1 complaint about slow cookers? You have to saute ingredients before putting them into the crock pot. With my dutch oven, I can saute, turn down the heat and simmer all day. It's really a wonderful appliance, and I've never seen one other than mine. I've done a pretty thorough search on the internet and can't find anything except electric skillets and those won't work for my applications. Any suggestions? Maybe someone knows a product developer at one of the major kitchen stores and can suggest this as a "new" product. Thanks

I often use my electric pressure cooker in the cooker OPTION - that allows cooking without pressure but you still have that option, which really comes in handy at times.

Mine is the Aroma, digital, programmable seen here

The 6-quart size is perfect for me. I had a smaller 4-quart that never quite fulfilled my expectations - the capacity was insufficient.

I have done braising in it on the "simmer" function, and can be set for 1, 2 or 3 hours - it may go beyond that - it does have a 12-hour "Keep Warm" function (automatic after the pressure cooking and other tasks), but I have personally never set it for beyond 3 hours.

It also has a steaming function - with the VENT OPEN so pressure does not build up and I successfully steamed a very large cauliflower head that would not fit into my regular steamer/rice cooker.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Breville, and probably others, make something similar to Andie's pressure cooker.

If you want something less elaborate, perhaps the Presto Multi-Cooker would work? I had something similar a few years ago, and it worked pretty well. Since the electronics are minimal, there's not much to go wrong.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

The Breville is much more expensive and the Presto has a (to me) fatal error - the non-stick coating flaked off the one I had a few years ago.

I gave the Presto to a friend, her husband removed all of the non-stick coating and she uses it to melt wax for candles and occasionally for a batch of homemade soap.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

West Bend seems to make one (also 70's judging from the avocado green) - check e-bay.

This is what came to mind when I saw the OP. Here's a link (not avocado green). Can't speak to how well it cooks. I got one for the pot, which happens to be a nice fit as an insert for the Sous Vide Supreme. But, if I were the OP, it's what I'd try.

WOW! Thanks for all the suggestions. I've never used electric pressure cookers, but I'm looking at that option now. I especially like the WestBend oblong slow cooker if I find I can actually saute in it. I have some research to do now.