• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hoisin sauce

tommy

Hey guys, some people were saying they didn't use hoisin that much, then I saw in another thread people were using it for a sweet bean paste substitute which I do too.

I thought id share THE recipe that uses the most hoisin in my house (because we make it every couple weeks or so). Its the old Mobu Dofu, mapu, mapo, however you choose to spell it. Its a big favorite. Lately we've been adding spinach or boiled longbean as well when the tofu goes in. This recipe came from sh.com many, many years ago and they didn't give any source credits for it (and I have paraphrased).

Our mods: use chili shrimp paste instead of dried shrimps - easier, use combo ground bean and hoisin instead of sweet fermented flour sauce, add several pickled thai chilis with the initial aromatics saute, and peppercorn oil is such a bitch to make so we usually use chili oil (but if you ’re willing and have some precious szechuan peppercorns you want to sacrifice for it - it adds an awesome flavor)

Bean Curd in Sauce

1 lb fresh bean curd (tofu)

2 oz vegetable oil

1 ts dried shrimps, soaked and chopped

2 ts sweet fermented flour sauce (or sweet bean paste or hoisin sauce)

1 ts scallions, chopped

1 ts fresh ginger, chopped

1 ts garlic, chopped

3 1/2 oz minced pork (lean is ok)

5 ts soy sauce

2 ts rice wine (shaoxing)

2 ts fresh cilantro, chopped

3 1/2 fl oz high stock (homemade chicken)

1 Tb cornstarch in 1 tbsp water

3 Tb peppercorn oil

1. Place the bean curd in a heat-proof bowl and steam for 10 minutes. Remove, drain, and cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Set aside.

2. Heat oil in a wok over high heat to just warm. Add the shrimps, sweet fermented flour sauce, scallions, ginger, garlic, and pork. Stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add the soy sauce, rice wine, and stock. Stir and bring to a boil.

3. Add the cornstarch-water mixture and cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens. Add bean curd and green vegetable if using and gently fold together, pour into serving dish. Add cilantro, sprinkle with the peppercorn oil, and serve.