• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

sun fruit.jpg

I came across this a few months back and asked my Chinese friends what it might be. None knew. Most suggested it was some kind of immature pumpkin, but I never believed them.

Today, I discovered its Chinese name is 太阳果 (tài yáng guǒ) which translates as "Sun Fruit". Mr. Google has only managed to throw up a suggestion that it may be of S. American origin. It's about 9cm in diameter and 5cm in depth. I'd love to know any European, preferably Latin, name if anyone can help.

By the way, this one has been sitting on my desk in the tropics for about three months, showing no sign of deterioration.

Weird.

Any ideas?

liuzhou

liuzhou

sun fruit.jpg

I came across this a few months back and asked my Chinese friends what it might be. None knew. Most suggested it was some kind of immature pumpkin, but I never believed them.

Today, I discovered its Chinese name is 太阳果 (tài yáng guǒ) which translates as "Sun Fruit". Mr. Google has only managed to throw up a suggestion that it may be of S. American origin. It's about 9cm in diameter and 5cm in depth. I'd love to know any European, preferably Latin, name if anyone can help.

By the way, this one has been sitting on my desk in the tropics for about three months, showing no sign of deterioration. Weird.

Any ideas?