• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gulfporter

gulfporter

Oh those furry pickers.....ouch!  But in AZ and here in MX they are removed, at least at stores we shopped at.  My Bisbee AZ house had a row of pink prickly pears along a patio wall where I hung party lights and those furry pickers got me every time I changed a bulb.  In dry months, the javelinas would come down from the hills and feast on the cacti but the plants always grew back.  Out of a dozen plants, we only lost 1 when temps plunged to 2 degrees F one wicked winter.   They are hardy....and a food source for both 2 and 4 legged creatures 🌵

gulfporter

gulfporter

Oh those furry pickers.....ouch!  But in AZ and here in MX they are removed, at least at stores we shopped at.  My Bisbee AZ house had a row of pink prickly pears along a patio wall where I hung party lights and those furry pickers got me every time I changed a bulb.  In dry months, the javelinas would come down from the hills and feast on the cacti but the plants always grew back.  Out of a dozen plants, we only lost 1 when temps plunged to 2 degrees F one wicked winter.   They are hardy....and edible!