• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food questions to ask clients regarding preferences for meals, etc

I was recently asked to cook several meals a week for some elderly neighbors who have admired my cooking for years and have asked to pay me for my services.

They have a lot of experience travelling abroad and I don't expect to encounter too much pickiness or allergy issues.

Is there a list of guidelines for myself that I could offer them and base their meals on?

Any experienced personal chefs and others experience would be greatly appreciated!

I cooked for a few weeks for an elderly man while his family was away and I was surprised on how he had his day scheduled around his rather small portioned meal.

He ate regular snacks between meals so his dinner portion was small. Oh and he liked to have variety with some set routines. Like Sunday was a Boiled egg for lunch with an apple, never to change, yet the rest of the week it was open to what was in the fridge.

Finding out their eating habits would probably be helpful to plan their meals.

I'd simply ask whether there are any ingredients or combinations of ingredients that should be avoided in the food you prepare for them.

The common perception of people with any sort of dietary restriction is that they are vocal, even annoying about it, but there are many who are extremely discreet about this sort of thing, and, in fact they've become so used to avoiding certain foods, they don't give it a thought (in which case they can offer useful tips).

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

One thing I've found with older folks is that some things are hard to eat. Corn on the cob would be a non-starter. Crisp lettuce in bite size pieces might be OK in a salad, but softer leaves that get stuck to the palate or underneath a denture can be annoying. My mother-in-law just can't manage chewy bits of meat, at all, so a lot of beef recipes are out, unless it's incredibly tender or ground.

Ask them about things they can't eat or don't like, but also ask them what their favorite things are. And maybe at the beginning when you're still getting used to their eating habits, give them a weekly menu card in advance where they can indicate their "yes please!" choices and a "no way Jose!" choices, as well.

Edited by SylviaLovegren (log)

Thanks so much you guys! I have given them a list of preferences and they are so looking forward to some really classic 'oldies' like Chicken Country Captain and clams Linguine in wine sauce - things I haven't made in a coon's age! I am shopping tomorrow and pretty excited about cooking this for them.