• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking polenta in the Thermomix

ElsieD

Mr Google, if asked for 'polenta thermomix', offers several possibilities. This page seems to have the most basic instructions - I quote:

Follow measurements from the recipe on the back of the packet and then put all ingredients into the TM bowl and cook on 100 degrees for 12 minutes on Speed 3-4.

But I particularly like what I found here.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Here is what I have in my cookbook -

Polenta Thermomix (Servings: --)
  • 750 grams liquid, milk, water, stock or mixture
  • 120 grams cornmeal
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 100 grams parmagiano reggiano
  • 50 grams butter
1.Place chunks of parmesan in bowl, turbo speed with button a couple of times. Pour cheese out of bowl and reserve.
2.Put butterfly in bowl, weigh in liquid and cornmeal. Set to 45 minutes, temperature 100, speed 2. At the end of 45 minutes add reserved cheese and butter and mix on speed 2 for about 3 minutes. Pour out onto prepared pan.
3.This makes a firm polenta.

Polenta is a stirred dish. I'd treat it like risotto and use the butterfly. It is also stirred gently and continually so speed 3 would perhaps be better than speed 4.

However, I went to a chef event in Sydney where Massimo Bottura from Osteria Francescana was giving a presentation. The chef whose kitchen he shared while in Australia commented that Bottura cooked his polenta on a surprisingly high speed in the Thermomix so this may be an alternative. Make sure you have enough liquid in there.

Edited by nickrey (log)

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Here is what I have in my cookbook -

Polenta Thermomix

(Servings: --)

• 750 grams liquid, milk, water, stock or mixture
  • 120 grams cornmeal
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 100 grams parmagiano reggiano
  • 50 grams butter

1.Place chunks of parmesan in bowl, turbo speed with button a couple of times. Pour cheese out of bowl and reserve.

2.Put butterfly in bowl, weigh in liquid and cornmeal. Set to 45 minutes, temperature 100, speed 2. At the end of 45 minutes add reserved cheese and butter and mix on speed 2 for about 3 minutes. Pour out onto prepared pan.

3.This makes a firm polenta.

Thanks, Kerry. I will try this. Do you use the butterfly?

Elsie

Yup - butterfly in place.

Yes, had I read the instructions more carefully, I would have read that. I made a batch last night guessing at what to do. Came out very loose. Made another batch this morning following your instructions and it is perfect. I scooped half cup portions into my USA hamburger pans and have nice little round discs. I have to say I wish more of the Thermomix cookbooks were available to Canadians. I have only two, one called My Way of Cooking and Full Steam Ahead. I don't much care for either of them. If you have any ideas on how I can get more, I'm all ears!

Thanks again.

Elsie