• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Keeping feta fresh

rotuts

Mozzarella is a cooked cheese that is heated to 80 degrees celsius before the curd is stretched. Feta only goes to around 32C to set off the culturing. It is then set with rennet and the curd is then cut, drained, and turned to give its texture. Feta is then brined and is designed to be kept in brine for extended periods. It will go soft if left in water because the calcium leaches out. Mozarella is a different class of cheese that will not fall apart if kept in water. Typically it is cryovaced or kept in simple cold water and is classified as a fresh cheese rather than a matured product. I'd be keeping mozzarella in fresh water and using it within a week to 10 days or by the manufacturers specified use by date.

Thank you, nickrey. What an excellent & complete explanation. Now I actually understand the 'why' as well as know the 'what.' I like that.

ETA one more question: If I use part of the mozzarella, then vacuum pack it with a little fresh/filtered water, will it keep longer, or is it 'on the clock' from the time it's first opened? My vacuum sealer is a FoodSaver.

Hard one to answer. Personally I'd add some time. Making a recommendation to others, however, I'd say it's on the clock from when it's first opened as I don't know what HACCP you use. Things like touching it with your hands, putting it on unsterilised chopping boards, time out of refrigeration, etc are all potential sources of contamination once you take it out of the package.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog