• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Apple spice cake?

AnnieWilliams

Does anyone have a good apple spice cake recipe which could be used for a wedding cake? My girlfriend requested one for her wedding in a couple of weeks. Most I've seen are more rustic/homey and I need something that cuts well without crumbling all over the place. I read that some people use their favorite carrot cake recipe and use grated apples instead of carrots. This is definitely doable, but I just wanted to see if anyone else has a better way of doing it.

Thanks!

I've got one that cuts beautifully with very little crumb disturbance. Made the way I do, with panela (raw sugar) it's a pleasant browny-beige colour, but I suspect that if one were to use white sugar it would be considerably lighter.... Let me go find the recipe.

Edit - found it! It was even on here in an excess applesauce thread.

Here you go. This is great-great gran's recipe, and the only liquid in it is the applesauce (which accounts for its full apply flavour as well as its moisture.) This scale of the recipe makes either two small cakes (about 18 cm each) for layering or one 27 cm diameter honker. The recipes scales extremely well.

1.5 C sweet butter, no other
1.5 C brown sugar / panela
1.5 C applesauce
3 eggs
3 C AP flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
0.5 tsp sea salt
3 tsp cinnamon
0.75 tsp nutmeg
1.5 tsp ginger
0.75 C raisins
0.75 C chopped walnuts

--
Preheat your oven to medium (350 F / 180 C)

1. Cream together butter and sugar; once fluffy, add applesauce and beat to mix. Add the eggs one at a time and mix well.
2. Combine flour, leavens, salt, and spices. Sift into wet.
3. Stir until just combined. The batter should be fairly stiff.
4. Fold in nuts and raisins.
5. Drop into a prepared (waxed/greased/floured) cake pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until an inserted pick comes out clean - your times may be longer due to lower altitudes.

I like to ice this with thick Manjar de Leche, and if you've made two cakes for layering the filling is definitely Manjar with some extra chopped walnuts sprinkled on top.

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense (log)

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)