• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aldi's "Kitchen Living" silicone baking mat

thock

Ok, I got half a dozen of the silicone baking mats (Aldi's take on Silpat) on clearance. I washed them with Dawn, shook them off, and dried them with a towel. That was several weeks ago.

This weekend, I made some M&M cookies. I used the mats in my half sheet pans. I noticed some beading on the mats, both where the cookies were, and where they weren't. I let the mats sit (because I was in a hurry), and the beading dried white on the mats.

I made another batch of cookies tonight. Same beading.

I tasted the liquid (just a bit, to see what it was), and it didn't taste like anything. Didn't coat my tongue, either.

Any ideas? I don't remember anything like this happening with my Silpats, but the next time I make cookies, I'm going to use those, and see what happens.

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

• 3 weeks later...

I have to agree that I'm not too happy with the 1 silicone mat that I bought recently.

It is taking on a strange colour, and always feels oily.

But for the price I paid for it (I bought a cut proof one) - I'm going to use it for a while longer.

I haven't had time, yet, but I'm going to bake one Silpat and one Aldi silicone mat in the oven by themselves, and see if they bead up. I'm going to make sure they're as clean as I can get them before the experiment.

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

Ok, I ran the above test, at 350 F, 15 minutes, each. Neither mat beaded. Then I baked another batch of M&M cookies. Neither really beaded too much, but one of the Aldi ones did have clear beads of moisture on them that were entirely flavorless.

Jury's still out on these. I think I may have to bake more cookies to figure this out. ;-)

I think I'm going to put something else besides cookie dough on the mats for the next test.

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA