• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

I could once eat nearly raw steak with no problem, it often puts me off now. No idea why.

Oh dear!

Taste does definitely change though. I clearly remember one tortuous meal where my parents (rather sadistically in retrospect) refused to let me leave the table until I ate every morsel of the overcooked fish they had served. It was disgusting. They did point out that I liked fish the previous week - we ate fish every Friday despite being non-Catholic. It was all they could buy, I guess.

My parents were determined I was going to eat the goddamned fish and a 9 year old me knew I couldn't. I finally broke the impasse by vomiting all over the table.

I didn't eat fish again for about 20 years. Now I am virtually pescatarian.

liuzhou

liuzhou

I could once eat nearly raw steak with no problem, it often puts me off now. No idea why.

Oh dear!

Change does definitely change though. I clearly remember one tortuous meal where my parents (rather sadistically in retrospect) refused to let me leave the table until I ate every morsel of the overcooked fish they had served. It was disgusting. They did point out that I liked fish the previous week - we ate fish every Friday despite being non-Catholic. It was all they could buy, I guess.

My parents were determined I was going to eat the goddamned fish and a 9 year old me knew I couldn't. I finally broke the impasse by vomiting all over the table.

I didn't eat fish again for about 20 years. Now I am virtually pescatarian.