• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lupa's Brussel Sprout appetizer

jaybee

I hand-chopped a package of raw brussel sprouts into small shreds (against the grain), mixed in a goodly amount of grated pecorrino cheese, many turns of black pepper and about three tbs. of EV olive oil. Not bad for the first effort at this tasty appetizer.

Next attempt: I used supermarket pecorrino, so I'lll buy some really good stuff today for the next effort. The brussel sprouts were also a packaged supermarket variety. I'll see if Fairway has better cheese and veggies. The EVO was a kind of bland variety. I will try a fruitier oil. I'll also try the Cuisinart shredder attachment for the brussel sprouts.

Any advice on pecorrino is welcome.

i tried it yesterday per jaybee's description on Lupa's thread. I used mandoline in the thinnest setting possible, and sliced brussels crosswise. The shreds were very thin, but still quite dry, so i salted them and gave them a strong squeeze to tenderize. I used aioli instead of olive oil, and added some chives and plumped golden raisins. The result was quite tasty, so next time i'll try the original version with EVOO and pecorino.