• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ridiculicious things to do with leftovers

ChefRobb

Allergin alert! DO not attempt if you are allergic to fun or delicious.

0814web.jpg

Asparagus pops

2 1/4 t agar agar

1/4 c water (from cooking asparagus)

1/4 t xanthan gum

1 cup chicken stock

2 c canola oil

pinch of taragon (optional)

handful of chips, crackers, breadcrumbs, etc

fill 1 or two thin and tall glasses with oil and place in freezer until cold but not solid (around 35-40 degrees F)

steam peeled asparagus in 1/4c water with a pinch of salt (I use a shallow sautee pan, covered) 1 1/2- 2 minutes

shock in icewater for 5 minutes, pat dry and set aside

combine 1/4 c water, chicken stock, and agar in saucepan and bring to boil for 2 minuites (stir constantly)

Remove from heat and continue stirring for 4-5 minutes.

Add xanthan gum when stock has cooled to around 140 F and still until cooled to around 125-130 F.

Remove oil from freezer and set next to pot with stock. Alternate dipping asparagus into the stock then into the oil to form and build up layers (the agar stock will set once cooled by the oil). This is like making a candle.

Dredge in breadcrumbs (or whatever you have laying around) and deep fry until browned. Srinkle with taragon or your herbs of choice.

* This was the first time I attempted this recipe. While it was tasty, next time I will use a consume or an otherwise fortified stock. The chicken flavor was there but it needs to be a bit more pronounced. The texture is a little strange, being that it is a gel but between the asparagus inside and the herbed crunch on the outside the dish somehow works.

* The reason for the xanthan gum was to make the stock thicker and hopefully cling to the asparagus better.

* I used torilla chips but they didnt provide the amount of coverage I was after. I will use seasoned crackers next time.